Before you get in touch
- Switch off the electricity, water, gas etc., if this will prevent any further damage to your home, provided it is safe to do so.
- Keep all damaged items which you are claiming for, as the claims handler may need to see them. If there is risk of further deterioration, take photographs of the items too.
- Collect all paperwork that supports your claim including receipts, valuations, guarantees and instruction manuals. Photographs of items may help too.
- Report theft and malicious or impact damage to the police immediately.
Aiming to make claiming easy
If you need to make claim, make sure you have your policy number and schedule to hand. All claims are handled by RSA, the underwriter of Benenden Home Insurance. You may also find it useful to have made as many notes as possible of any damage and any information you hold about the value of items, like the receipts for the items you’re claiming for — this will enable their specialist team to process your claim as quickly as possible.
To make the process as quick as possible, please ensure you have the following information to hand before you call:
- Your policy schedule: It contains your policy number and the personal details you gave when you took out cover. It’s worth taking a moment to look at the cover you bought.
- Your policy excesses: It’s worth checking your policy excesses; all payable excesses are listed on your policy schedule.
What happens once a claim is registered?
Dependent on the type of claim you make, it may be possible for your claim to be settled by the claims team. If your home or belongings require any repairs, it may be necessary to appoint someone to assess the damage. Once registered, a Claims handler will make sure you are always up-to-date with progress.